Idaho Marriage Laws

Marriage licenses must be obtained in person at the new Ada County Courthouse Recorder’s Department on the first floor.

Both parties must appear together in person.

There is a $28 fee. An additional $2 fee is required if you want a certified copy of your marriage license for proof of name change. Only cash is acceptable.

There is no waiting period and no blood test is required, however, Idaho Code requires both parties to read and sign a premarital AIDS educational pamphlet (available at the counter).

If you are 18 years or older, you are required to provide proof of your identity and your age, if you are under 18 of age contact the recorders office for additional requirements.

PLEASE NOTE: Non-U.S. citizens are advised to check with their local officials to ensure that the marriage will be recognized in their home country.

For more information:

Ada County Recorder’s Department
200 W. Front St., 1st Floor, Room 1207
Boise, Idaho 83702
Phone: (208) 287-6840
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. including the lunch hour, closed on state holidays

Other County Recorder’s Offices

Blaine County (208) 788-5505
Boise County (208) 392-4431
Camas County (208) 764-2242
Canyon County (208) 454-7552
Gem County (208) 365-4561
Kootenai County (208) 769-4427
Nez Perce County (208) 799-3020
Owyhee County (208) 495-2421
Twin Falls County (208) 736-4004
Valley County (208) 382-4297